Skip to main content

Our history

Founded in 1922, La Coop fédérée is now Quebec’s largest agri-food organization.

OUR HISTORY

La Coop fédérée’s success over the past 96 years lies in its ability to adapt, evolve, and modernize to always better meet its members’ needs.

The Coopérative fédérée de Québec was born out of the merger of three cooperative centres, the Coopérative des fromagers de Québec, the Comptoir coopératif de Montréal, and the Société des producteurs de semences de Sainte-Rosalie.
Modernization and mechanization of the Coopérative’s poultry and milling installations. Entry into the dairy farm equipment market.
The Sonic department’s entry into the oil product market.
Creation of the hardware and agricultural machinery sector with the opening of a distribution centre in Trois-Rivières.
The birth of Olymel, now the Canadian leader in the production, processing, and distribution of pork and poultry.
Olymel’s arrival in Western Canada with the acquisition of the Red Deer slaughterhouse in Alberta.
Expansion into the fertilizer industry outside Quebec by acquiring the Agronomy Company of Canada and Agrico.
BMR Group, in which La Coop fédérée has held a minority interest since 2013, became a fully owned subsidiary.
La Coop fédérée combines its energy distribution (Sonic) activities with those of Groupe Filgo. As a result, La Coop’s network became a partner of the new company born from the merger, Groupe Filgo-Sonic, with 50% of the shares.